|This 1970s era photo was taken on the plaza lot of York City Hall. The officers in this photo are William Sleeger (left) and John Stine (right).
Beginning in 1895 with a horse drawn fire department ambulance that also served as paddy wagon, ambulance service was provided to the citizens of the City of York, Pennsylvania.
Both police officers and fire fighters operated the ambulances until 1970, when Bureau of Health employees operated an ambulance under supervision of the fire chief. The Police Department often supplied officers to drive the ambulance to the hospital when the ambulance was short staffed.
In 1985, York City ambulance service was contracted to a privately owned company.
Return to the Photo Archive Page.
Go to the PHM home page.