Police Car Show
Photo of the Month
York City Chiefs
New Oxford Lock-Ups
Police Heritage Museum
New Oxford, Adams County, Pennsylvania
(Click on photos to view full size images)
The original New Oxford fire house is located on West High Street in New Oxford Borough, Adams County, Pennsylvania. Built in 1887, the New Oxford fire house was built by the town and turned over to the fire company late in 1887.
The original New Oxford fire house had the distinction of housing two separate lock-ups from two different eras for New Oxford. On February 10, 2012, staff from the Police Heritage Museum toured the building.
Entrance To The First Lock-Up
The Basement Cell(s)
The Upstairs Cells
These two cells were likely added after World War II. It was explained to us that these cells were purchased as military surplus and were originally designed as a brig for a naval ship.
A hole was cut into the rear exterior wall to place this unit into, and the two brick piers flanking the old basement lock-up entrance support the weight of these cells.
No longer located in the dark basement, prisoners in these cells would see the light of day shining in the front apparatus door, and instead of being in a damp basement, would be warmed by the fire in the nearby wood stove during cold and wintry days.
There were no facilities in the cells, such as a sink or toilet. A single wash basin was located on the wall outside of the cells in the apparatus room.
Our thanks to the Borough of New Oxford for providing us with information and access to the building.
Anyone with any additional information on the New Oxford lock-ups are encouraged to contact us.
237 West Market Street
York, Pennsylvania 17401